Trail Monster Running

Visit the official TRAIL MONSTER RUNNING website for information on upcoming group runs, local trails, trail races and more, including the Pineland Farms Trail Running Festival and the Bradbury Mountain trail Running Series.

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Bradbury 15ish

Randy picked me up this morning and drove to Bradbury. After last weeks solo run I wasn't sure what to expect but was surprised to see a good turnout that included Jamie, Mindy, Stephen, Ryan and Jim. We headed out of the park on the snowmobile trail and I didn't have a specific route in mind, but several of us agreed a 2 hour run would be good. Randy's car told us it was 11 degrees at 8 am, which I didn't believe but Jamie's car confirmed this.


We ended up running a great big loop that took us about 2 hours and 15 minutes, a little longer than I was expecting but not too far off the target. I had never run this loop just as we did today so I wasn't sure what to expect.

Trail conditions were pretty icy, but luckily most of us were wearing screw shoes. Stephen screwed his immediately upon arrival at the park and I should have offered to let Mindy screw hers too (sorry, I saw the Yak Trax in your hand).

By the time we finished it was 32 degrees and I had stripped off one of my shirts. Although the elevation profile makes it look like the whole run was very hilly the ones at the end felt the hardest and I really warmed up running uphill. My Garmin told me that we ran about 14.5 miles but I have typically found the distance to be short compared to other peoples GPS and to measured race routes (don't buy a Garmin 405). So I think it was probably closer to 15 miles.

time: 2:14:12
distance: 14.56 miles
pace: 9:13

weather: 11-32 degrees, mostly sunny, breezy

conditions: hard packed snow, ice

gear: Brooks Cascadia 3 with screws, wool socks, tights, 2 long sleeve tops, Source 1.5l hydration pack, thin gloves, buff

4 comments:

mindy said...

No prob - I should have worn the yak trax, not sure why I ended up leaving them behind. Next time. Great pix by the way. Today was a lot of fun, I'm glad I finally got to join after being out of town the last several weekends.

sn0m8n said...

Great run today! I'm glad the bailout option was so complicated.

Jamie Anderson said...

Great pics! Nice job on the run.

pathfinder said...

Nice pictures, I ran on powerlines this weekend too and found very similar (rolling ice) patches. Actually amazing ice flow formations. I opted for Yaks rather than screw shoes as I thought I might end up running on some tar surface and the yaks are easily removable.